Thursday, April 10, 2008

"I must kill that spider!"

Like many clowns, comedians and writers of comedy Kharms suffered from melancholia. He even gave his own personal blues a feminine proper name: Ignavia. In order to combat Ignavia, he wrote a poem that served him as a charm or incantation against her.

In an effort to ward her off he would recite this poem:

I looked for a long time at the green trees.
Peace filled my mind,
As before, I still don't have any great, extrodinary ideas,
The same scraps, fragments, and tail ends.
Either earthly desires flame up
Or I reach for an interesting book
Or suddenly a sweet dream knocks on my head.
I sit down by the window in a deep armchair.
I look at the clock, light a pope
But suddenly I jump up and walk over to the table,
Sit down in a hard chair and roll myself a cigarette.
I see a little spider running on the wall.
I watch him, I cannot tear myself away.
He's stopping me from picking up my pen.
I must kill that spider!
But I'm too lazy to get up.
Now I look inside myself,
But inside me is empty, monotonous, and boring.
Intense life beats nowhere.
Everything is limp and sleepy, wet like straw.
So I have traveled inside of myself
And now I'm standing here beside you.
You are waiting to hear what I'll tell you about my journey.
But I'm silent because I saw nothing there.
Leave me alone to look quietly at the trees.
Then maybe peace will find my mind.
Then maybe my mind will wake up,
And I will wake up, and my intense life will start beating inside me.

This is my poem to ward off melancholia.

I better run quick, quick enough to out run the blues that are
festering like demons inside of me.
(Or maybe thats indigestion?)
Quick! Drink some more whiskey to kill the demons!
Quick- find a boy to spoon naked with.
Quick.. get your egg sandwich, and remember that Dunkin' Donuts will always love you more than Margaret hates herself.

What is it that constitutes a poem?
I shouldn't be smoking hash and trying to write poems.

You should watch:
Black lizard. Its a good movie.

No comments: